August 19, 2012

Parenting Project Updates

(Initial description/scopes of this project and information about the anonymous survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NTVMRY5 can be seen in previous posts below.)

A very BIG thank you to all of you for your comments of support and encouragement. I especially like the comments of shock from people who know me on a more personal level. When asked, "so you're writing a book?" I sort of laugh, shrug and think (maybe even verbally reply) "right now I am simply writing, listening, giving myself permission to have fun, be curious and excited about what may come of it". For my own sake I have added to that intention "with patience, ease and no judgment" specifically regarding the writing part.

Those of you close to me know that by nature I am a private person so to "put myself out there" let alone in such a very personal manner is very uncharacteristic for me. Yet that is what I am feeling guided to do right now. In fact the writings, that for reference only from this point on I will refer to as "book notes", in addition to being hopefully informative are becoming increasingly personal. What will become of them at this point I have no idea. Perhaps it is writing simply for the sake of writing...time will tell.
One of the comments I received read: "awesome message Heather...all hail the parents who strive to raise authentic children!" In that moment the scope of this project expanded. It became about more than just an attempt to shed light on parenthood and explore/present it in a raw, unfiltered manner. It made me think about comments like "our children are the future" and how we are the role models for our kids. What might happen if we give our selfs permission to be more open and genuine? Would our children follow in our footsteps? What would the world be like populated with more openly authentic people? In Anatomy of the Spirit, Caroline Myss mentions that the first sacred truth is All is One. What would happen if we started truly embracing the fact that we are All One? For me, that is a beautiful vision that I think could be made real--authentic parents...authentic children...authentic world.
At that point I realized if I was expecting others to step out of the shadow, anonymously, that I needed to step out a bit as well. I haven't done much public blogging so bear with me. I will do my best to update this blog with information of significant moments as this project moves forward. I'm not sure how often that will be as right now my limited "free time", which has become writing time, is spent on all these other writings I'm feeling guided to do.
I greatly appreciate all of the emails and am thankful for those of you that have already participated in the survey. Please feel free to post your comments on this site as well. I think there is always room for improvement and welcome your insights and constructive criticism. If this project resonates with you, please also feel free to forward this information to your contacts, post something on facebook and tweet away. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I have no idea how to do either of the latter. Perhaps me embracing social media more will be a side effect of this project...baby steps.
Stay tuned...

No comments: